test

HTML Map

Welcome!

Here are my translations of the songs by the band BUMP OF CHICKEN, from Japanese to English. I hope this lets more people appreciate the beautiful lyrics of BUMP!

Links to each song can be found in "Albums" and "Singles."

BUMP's official website is http://www.bumpofchicken.com/!

Feel free to contact me at lebarrow@earthlink.net!

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hammer Song and the Tower of Pain / ハンマーソングと痛みの塔 English Lyrics Translation


ENGLISH


Hammer Song and the Tower of Pain

Gradually stronger and stronger
Singing voices echo around the Tower of Pain
Who is that clinging to the top
And shaking?

Even if you want to get rid of them, you can't
The small pieces of pain
Accumulated
You kept them shut away
And filled up
The first box

It doesn't really hurt any more
But it'd be nice if someone would pay attention to me
I need to get more than I have now
Then maybe someone would be a bit nice to me

You pick up thrown-out things and pack them away
And pile up
The full boxes
Watching passers by out of the corner of your eye
You piled up
The tenth box

I see
Even this is not enough
Nobody is looking at me
Well, I guess I've gotta make it taller
So that the whole world can see me!

Gradually taller and taller
The Tower of Pain reached even the birds
That person climbing to the top
Must think he's a king or something

He opend his mouth wide to say something
As he looked down on the curious crowd
From up there, they looked like ants
You piled up
The hundredth box

Everybody gathered here
This is my pain
I am too far up here
To even be reached by your consolation!

I'm sure that I'm special
Every single person looks up to me
I was chosen by the God of Lonliness
And that's why I am here

Gradually taller and taller
The Tower of Pain reached even the clouds
That person sitting cross-legged on the top
Must think he's a king or something

All he could hear was the sound of the wind
He piled up
The thousandth box
He looked down and felt dizzy
And his ladder
Got blown away

And then you became truly lonely
Not a single person could see you
You became so scared that you couldn't make a sound
Then suddenly you heard the Hammer Song

From below they sang the Daruma Otoshi
Someone was singing the Hammer Song

"Everybody wants to talk to you
Come down to our level!"

Gradually stronger and stronger
Singing voices echo around the Tower of Pain
Clinging to the top
With a dripping nose is a god

It's me, feeling like a god
But now my feelings are turned upside down
That's how it is
Who am I?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


JAPANESE


ハンマーソングと痛みの塔

どんどん強くもっと強く
歌声響く痛みの塔
その天辺にしがみついて
震えてるのはどちら様?

捨てたくても捨てられなくて
小さな痛み
溜まってた
そいつをずっとしまってきた
1個目の箱
満たされた

別に今更辛くも無いけど
誰かが見てくれたらなあ
これだけあれば許されないかな
少し優しくされるくらい

捨てたものも拾って詰めて
満タンの箱
積み上げた
通りすがりを横目に見て
10個目の箱
積み上げた

そうか、
これでもまだ足りないのか
誰にも見えてないようだ
それじゃどんどん高くしなくちゃ
世界中にも見えるくらい!

どんどん高くもっと高く
鳥にも届く痛みの塔
その天辺によじ登って
王様気分の何様


何事かと大口開けた
野次馬共を見下ろした
ここから見たらアリのようだ
100個目の箱
積み上げた

お集まりの皆様方
これは私の痛みです
あなた方の慰めなど
届かぬほどの高さに居ます!

きっと私は特別なんだ
誰もが見上げるくらいに
孤独の神に選ばれたから
こんな景色の中に来た

どんどん高くもっと高く
雲にも届け痛みの塔
その天辺であぐらかいて
神様気分の王様

聞こえるのは風の音だけ
1000個目の箱
積み上げた
下を見たら目眩がした
掛けたハシゴ
飛ばされた

そして本当に寂しくなった
誰にも見えてないようだ
声も出ないほど怖くなった
不意に聞こえたハンマーソング

下から順にダルマ落とし
誰かが歌うハンマーソング

「皆アンタと話したいんだ
同じ高さまで降りてきて!」

どんどん強く
もっと強く
歌声響く痛みの塔
その天辺にしがみついて
鼻を垂らしてる神様

神様気分の俺様
俺様気分も逆さま
有様
どちら様?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


OPINION

This song is BUMP OF CHICKEN's take on the archetypal story of the fool… or the king… or the foolish king. It's based on the Japanese game Daruma Otoshi where the goal is to knock individual disks out of a tower with a mallet. The title of this song sounds scary but it's actually a very nice story! Check out the fanmade animated music video below. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment